Staying Charged: Extending Your Gadget's Battery Life
First and foremost, knowing the causes of battery drain in a smartphone or tablet will help you identify why yours may be draining so fast. Batteries are sensitive to temperatures in both extremes; both the heat and the cold can drain the battery without the device even being in use. One of the main culprits of battery drain due to temperature is overcharging, which can happen when people leave a device plugged in overnight. Overcharging heats up the battery, which can perpetuate further drainage.
Other culprits of battery drainage have less to do with the physical environment and more to do with your personal use of the device. Staying on your phone all day long will eat into your battery life, given that it's constantly in a working state while powered on. Overusing your device's battery isn't limited to messaging and phone calls: Features on some devices can drain the battery quicker, and you might not even know that these features are activated. For example, having your location settings turned on uses your battery because the device needs power to interact with GPS satellites and cell towers to track where you are. Location isn't the only setting to drain the battery: Bluetooth and Wi-Fi also drain a device's battery as it constantly searches for the strongest signal. Users should also remember that it takes a lot of energy to power the display on a smartphone or tablet: The brighter your screen is set and the higher the resolution it's displaying, the more power it uses.
Both Android and iOS devices have battery-saving modes that can prolong your battery life, and if you're a heavy phone user and/or are constantly using your email and Snapchat, then it's best to keep your phone in power-saving mode. Another thing you can do to save power is to turn off your location, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth settings when you're not using them. It's also a good idea to keep your screen brightness to a minimum and to use the lowest resolution available.
The next step to help save your battery is to take a hard look at the apps you use, many of which can be battery-intensive. Delete apps you don't use, and look at the ones that put the most strain on your battery to see if you can live without them. Also, clean out your memory, getting rid of old pictures and videos on your device; filling up the memory can make the device work harder to find and store data, which uses more power. When deleting old pictures and videos, it may be helpful to back them up to either iCloud or Google Photos in order to keep them somewhere safe.
In addition, putting your device in airplane mode when you're in a place with a spotty connection can give your battery a break; otherwise, it will constantly be searching for a signal, which rapidly drains the battery. Before putting the device into airplane mode, download some songs, games, and apps that you can use while offline.
Find some additional tips and tricks for saving your phone or tablet's battery as well as information on battery health and specifics for Android and iOS devices from these resources:
- Cell Phone Batteries Are Destined to Die, and Physics Is to Blame
- How to Charge Your Phone to Save the Battery
- Why GPS-Dependent Apps Deplete Your Smartphone Battery
- Eight Things That Are Killing Your Smartphone Battery
- These Five Apps Are Killing Your Battery
- Five Ways You're Killing Your Smartphone Battery Without Even Realizing It
- How to Check Your Battery Health
- Make Your Phone's Battery Last Longer
- IPhone Battery Performance
- IOS 11.3 Battery Health FAQ
- IPhone Battery Health Explained
- How to Monitor Your Android Device's Battery Health
- Checking Android Battery Health
- How to Optimize and Extend the Battery Life of a Samsung Galaxy Smartphone
- Get the Most Life From Your Battery on Android
- Battery Life for an LG G4
- Eight Ways to Increase Battery Life on an LG V30
- The Seven Best Battery-Saver Apps for Android
- How to Use the Android Battery-Saver Mode
- Secret Power-Savers to Extend Your IPhone Battery Life
- Smartphones With the Best Battery Life
- 15 Easy Ways to Extend Your Phone's Battery Life
- Tips to Extend the Life of Your Gadget's Batteries
- It's Not Your Imagination: Phone Battery Life Is Getting Worse